June 10, 2008
GENERAL MEETING Minutes
8TH FLOOR Commission Chamber
CALL TO ORDER by President, Genia Ellis at 7:30 PM followed by the
PLEDGE of ALLEGIANCE.
ROLL CALL BY Second VP, Tom Welch, and a quorum of 21 members are present.
MEETING MINUTES of May 13th, 2008 moved by Dr. Hayes and accepted as submitted unanimously.
TREASURERS REPORT for May 30th, 2008 was provided by Treasurer, Ron Centamore and it was moved by Dave Marshall and accepted unanimously.
1. Chief Frank Adderley Ã¢â¬â Responded to written community questions previously submitted to the chief. See attachment (D). The basic overview is that the Police Chief had a positive attitude to making the department work with what assets they do have. There are 510 approved position and only 34 are vacate, which is less than 7 percent of the total.
They are actively recruiting to fill those as quickly as possible. He spent 50 minutes answering in detail the concerns of those questions submitted and those asked from those present.
2. The Council members and their individual associations provided input in to what is believed to be sufficient responses to indicate consensus on items that may be proposed for ULDR changes, NCIP Grant consensus, as well as issues like speed bumps, road closures and the like. A variety of percentages were offered with the ranges from 50% plus 1 to as high as 60%. Recommendations also indicated that the consensus should be of the property owners within the geographic boundary of the proposed change. These numbers and summary will be provided to the Planning Department, at the request of the Commission, to be combined with other historical information gathered to attempt to establish a reasonable and consistent guideline for the review of such items.
1. Ad Hoc Code reform Committee Report- Richard Mancuso- Reported there has not been chosen and it will go to the June 17th meeting. Council Members were urged to contact their Commissioners and urge them to select a consultant, in accordance with their own purchasing guidelines, and move the item forward.
2. Goal Setting Committee Update- Only the Crime Committee is moving forward
The sub-committee for the DRC process by consultants and AIA is developed with the assistance of David Bruton and City staff.
1. Crime Night Out Planning- Tim Smith presented the idea of a Celebration and appreciation to the City Fire and Police Department at a City Park. Asst City Manager David Hebert indicated the City will support the event. Dave Marshall made a motion that the Council support this celebration with notifications and volunteers, but no monetary support, for August 5th, 2008. The motion carried.
1. Committee reports by Richard Mancuso will be delayed until new Chair is selected for the Crime Committee. The other Goals Committee need to report into Richard.
2. The Chair of the Candidates Forum Betty Shelley announced the dates are set for the January 29th, 2009 and February 26th all at 7pm at the City Commission Cambers.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:56pm