Council of Civic Association
Board Meeting Minutes
October 22, 2012
City Hall, 8th Floor Cafeteria
1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Marilyn Mammano at 5:30 pm. At 6pm Ms. Mammano left to attend another meeting and turned the gavel over to 1st Vice President Ron Centamore. She returned at approximately 7pm. District 1 Rep Shirley Smith left at 6:15 pm.
2. Attendance: All present except Treasurer Madelene Klein, District III Rep Dr. Magdalene Lewis, and District IV Rep Brucie Cummings. Second Vice President position is vacant.
3. Minutes: Review and approval of September Board meeting was deferred.
4. Treasurer’s Report: Review of the Treasurer’s Report was deferred.
5. Ms. Mammano initiated a discussion of how to get members to attend the City’s November 10 Visioning Meeting. It was decided to send out email blasts and make it the topic of the November Council Corner. This meeting will be the final opportunity to make opinions known.
6. Nominating Committee for Officer Slate for 2013-14 Fiscal Year: 2nd Vice President Betty Shelley, Mr. Centamore, and Past President Doug Sterner volunteered to serve on the committee. Volunteers would be solicited through the close of the November 13 General Meeting.
7. Membership Report: The Board discussed ways to increase membership for the 2013-14 fiscal year. Some of the ideas discussed included polling non-members to ask why they do not join, sponsoring an event for non-members, having a meeting or using the website to inform neighborhoods how to become a City recognized neighborhood, dues incentives.
8. Website: No formal rollout of the new website occurred at the last general meeting as planned because of the full agenda. The new website is fully operational.
9. Consensus Committee: Corresponding Secretary Donna Mergenhagen confirmed that the final report of the Consensus Committee would be ready for presentation at the Nov. General Meeting (final committee meeting on Nov 5). Since the last public Visioning Committee meeting was scheduled for Nov 10 – before the general meeting, it was discussed that Ms. Mammano may want to send the final draft to the Visioning Committee with an update once it is approved.
10. Holiday Party. The final general meeting of the calendar year will be December 11 in the cafeteria at 5pm. We will collect food for the Pantry of Broward. Tim Smith’s band has volunteered to play again at the party. The play list should focus on non-religious general seasonal and holiday music. It was decided not to sponsor a toy drive at this late date this year.
11. Map. Mr. Sterner said that he is making some headway on getting the map finalized (CFLCA gift to City for Centennial).
The meeting was adjourned at 7:25 pm.