January 2010 General Meeting

Council of Fort Lauderdale Civic Associations
P. O. Box 30106
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33303

General Meeting
January 12, 2010

1. Call to Order 7:30 PM

2. Pledge of Allegiance

3.Roll Call by the 1st Vice President – (Marilyn Mammano)- 16 of 33 members present (Quorum present). Guests: Yvonne Britt , US Census Bureau;  Jill Quigley, Central Broward Transit Project;  Hal Barnes and Sheri Roberts,  City Of Fort Lauderdale.

Meeting minutes were reviewed and amended by motion from Betty Shelley, seconded by Gabriel Ocasio. By unanimous vote, the amended minutes were accepted.  Amended minutes are attached.

Treasurer’s Report. – Tom Welch submitted the attached Treasurer’s Report. There were no new members and expenses were $78.92.  Dave Parker moved to accept the report and Ron seconded .The report was approved unanimously.

Doug Sterner announced that starting next meeting there would be a regular Police Report.

Yvonne Britt, Manager, of the Local Census Office explained the process to become a censuses taker and the advantages thereof.  She passed out literature, which is attached. Anyone interested in becoming a census taker can call 1 866 861 2010 to arrange to take the test.

Jill Quigley, from the Central Broward Transit gave out a questionnaire asking members to choose their preference for the Central Broward Transit Project. Discussion followed about the apparent disconnect between this project and the Wave and the Light Rail Proposals.  Information about the project can be found at www.centralbrowardtransit.com.

Hal Barnes discussed the Florida Neighborhood Conference 2010, which currently has no host. He distributed literature for the May 26-29 2010 Neighborhood USA Conference in Arkansas.

Vicki Eckels discussed the Citizen Sustainability Green Committee and distributed a list of sub committees that members can join.  The list will be posted on the CFLCA site.

Old Business

Centennial Committee discussed the proposed Council Centennial project. Elaborate project is not working.  Suggested was perhaps a bumper sticker or t-shirt?   Doug Sterner will put the issue on the next Executive Board Meeting.

Ad Hoc Committee
Richard Mancuso expressed frustration (yet again) with the City’s unresponsiveness to our concerns.  This will also be on the Executive Board agenda.

Marilyn Mammano said that the Membership Renewal Letter and Application would be mailed out in January.  She will also prepare a blast email for the Secretary to send out.

No report from the Education Advisory Committee.

Meeting was adjourned at 9:00.

Submitted by Marilyn Mammano, 1st Vice President for David Marshall, Recording Secretary