January 13, 2009
8TH FLOOR COMMISSION CHAMBER
NETWORKING BY MEMBERS/ASSOCIATIONS 7:00 to 7:30 PM
CALL TO ORDER At 7:30 PM by President Ellis
PLEDGE of ALLEGIANCE
ROLL CALL BY 2nd Vice President Tom Welch indicating a quorum is present
MEETING MINUTES of November 10, 2008 were reviewed and approved.
TREASURERS REPORT provided by Treasurer Ron Centamore
Tim Smith New Vision Fort Lauderdale Proposal for the Council
Presented to the Council was the information regarding American Assembly and the plan generated by the City in conjunction with the public, FAU and other in 1994-1995 to establish a vision and plan for the city. It was suggested that the Council take on a mission to update this vision and present it to the new incoming Commission for adoption, consideration and participation. After much discussion, it was suggested by President Ellis that an ad hoc committee be formed to review the plan, determine the role of the Council and coordinate with other organizations that are considering the same process. The Committee consists of Richard Mancuso, Tim Smith, Reid Morgan, Betty Shelley, Marilyn Mammano, Donna Mergenhagen and Tom Welch.
1. Schedule of February Meeting (February 10, 2009) In light of the meeting being scheduled for election day and with the number of members that actively work at the polls, it is anticipated that the turn out for our meeting will be light therefore our agenda will accommodate.
2. The first in a series of two Candidate Forums sponsored by the Council is scheduled for January 29, 2009 at City Hall in the Chamber from 7 to 9 PM. All members are encouraged to come and participate. Questions had been previously submitted and provided to the moderator. Board members are required to attend and work on behalf of the Council.
3. Nominating Committee Report is as follows:
PROPOSED CANDIDATES SUBMITTED BY THE NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Past President Genia Ellis Mandatory
President Doug Sterner Agreed
David Marshall Considering
1st Vice President Marilyn Mammano Agreed
2nd Vice President Betty Shelley Agreed
Recording Secretary Betty Hays Agreed
River Run Civic
Corresponding Sec. Donna Mergenhagen Agreed
Treasurer Tom Welch Agreed
Chairmen of Gabriel Ocasio Davila Agreed
Committees Poinsettia Heights
District I Drew Pickens Agreed
District II Mike Vonder Mullen Agreed
District III Juanita Gray Agreed
District IV David Parker Agreed
5. Duties and Roles of Council Board Members and Representatives were outlined by President Ellis and members were encouraged to volunteer to serve on the board. The membership was reminded that nominations are always accepted from the floor and we welcome additional participation.
6. Centennial Committee reported that they continue to attend the City Centennial Committee meeting and work independently on ideas for the Council. We still remain hopeful that the City will allow a formal seat at the table for the Council and will continue to lobby for that.
1. Ad Hoc Code Reform Committee Report Richard Mancuso reported that Winter and Company is continuing to work in preparation of the public meetings that will be scheduled. Currently it is unknown when those dates will be but we are committed at following through on the commitment by the city and will provide that information as it becomes available.
2. 2007 NCIP Grant for Trinity Lutheran School Report was submitted to commission, having been adjusted to reflect speed tables VS road closure and was unanimously approved.
ADJOURNED 9:00 PM