Fort Lauderdale Council of Civic Associations
General Meeting Minutes
April 9, 2013
City Hall, 8th Floor Conference Room
- Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by President Mammano at 7:30 pm.
- Roll Call: VP Centamore called attendance and declared a quorum.
- Minutes: Minutes of the March meeting were approved as presented.
- Treasurer’s Report: Former Treasurer Klein read the report provided by Treasurer Golub.
- POLICE/FIRE REPORT
- Captain Luiz Alvarez reported on upcoming beach events.
- Captain Jo-Ann Lorber reported the Port Everglades emergency drill has been re-scheduled and introduced Broward District Chief Gregory Holness. He is the new Chief in Port Everglades and reminded members of the option to register for Broward County CyberVision. Chief Lorber also recommended a Code Red App and distributed flyers on hurricane preparedness.
6. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GUEST INTRODUCTIONS
- Todd Okolichany and Anthony Fajardo, Dept. of Sustainability, presented two ordinance change proposals. 1) Altering the process to apply for Flex Units from FZ49 and 55 to make them available for use in the Downtown RAC. 2) Change in the ULDR in the RO districts. A number of concerns were expressed from the audience about the future availability of flex units. A number of members raised points from the Council Consensus Report regarding protection of single family neighborhoods, and honoring master plans, and balancing development with preservation.
- Rafael Vazquez, Broward County presented the 211 Service and the addition of the Senior Touchline application.
7. OLD BUSINESS – REPORTS
- President Mammano announced the Citizen’s Committee of Recognition Event on May 7 at 11:30 am in City Hall. Both Betty Shelley and Jorg Hruschka will receive awards.
- Victoria Park was thanked for providing the evening refreshments.
- First Vice President Centamore stated that renewals are still being received.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Cathy Stubbs read the Legislative Committee report prepared by Committee Chair, Richard Johns. The next meeting has not been scheduled.
9. FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMMUNITY
- Susan Howell thanked the neighborhoods who had participated in the “Power of One Hour”/CVC project in Poinciana Park on April 6.
- The Police Memorial Service will be held on April 30 at 2:30 pm at the Police Memorial in Esplanade Park.
- Haitian Flag Day was announced by Reverend Jean Ch. Renelus on May 18 6:30-10:00
- Hal Barnes from Neighborhood Services announced staffing changes. Stephanie Denham will be relocating out of state. Jorg Hruschka has accepted the position of Chief Service Officer in Neighborhood Services within the City Manager’s Office.
- Chuck Black announced that Fleet Week has been cancelled. In its place there will be activities to recognize local service members.
- Barbara Haggerty announced the Shady Banks neighborhood Flea Market on Saturday.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 pm.