Tuesday, May 12, 2009
City Hall, 8TH Floor Commission Chamber
1. CALL TO ORDER at 7:30 PM
2. PLEDGE of ALLEGIANCE
3. ROLL CALL BY 1st Vice President (Marilyn Mammano) Ã¢â¬â19 members plus 1 late arrival present; quorum met. (See Attachment B.)
4. REVIEW AND ACCEPTANCE:
a. MEETING MINUTES of April 14, 2009* – Motion to approve by Genia Ellis and seconded by Ron Centamore. Motion passed. (See Attachment D,)
b. TREASURERÃ¢â¬â¢S REPORT Ã¢â¬â
i. April 2009 Report – Motion to approve (with amended date) by Genia Ellis,seconded by Betty Shelley. Motion passed. (See Attachment E)
ii. Annual (Apr. 2008-Mar. 2009) Final Audited Report Ã¢â¬â Audit committee reported that the year-end treasurerÃ¢â¬â¢s report passed their review. (See Attachment F)
5. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GUEST INTRODUCTIONS (None)
6. Hal Barnes/Sheri Roberts Ã¢â¬â NUSA Ã¢â¬â Florida Conference Ã¢â¬â Mr. Barnes announced the Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) conference to be held in Spokane, WA May 20-23 and the Florida Neighborhoods Conference to be held in St. Petersburg FL July 9-11. (See Attachment I.) A motion by Genia Ellis, seconded by Betty Shelley, for the Council to sponsor all registration fees for 5 members to the Florida Neighborhoods Conference passed unanimously.
7. Downtown Development Authority Ã¢â¬â Chris Wren & Elizabeth van Sant Ã¢â¬â Mr. Wren and Ms. van Sant made a presentation to the membership regarding the activities of the DDA, and invited members to attend their May 27 event at the Performing Arts Center.
8. Historical Preservation Ã¢â¬â Alysa Plummer, VP Sailboat Bend & Diane Smart, Broward Trust for Historical Preservation ** This item was rescheduled for the June 09, 2009 meeting.
9. NEW BUSINESS:
a. Membership Ã¢â¬â District Representatives will send out 2nd notices to those civic associations which have not renewed their memberships. The Council currently has 31 members, out of 63 city-recognized and 23 non-recognized associations city-wide.
b. Refreshment Assignment & Sign Up Ã¢â¬â Refreshments are assigned through December 2009.
c. Committees for the Upcoming year Ã¢â¬â Standing & Ad Hoc Ã¢â¬â A list of Regular/Standing, Ad Hoc, and Goals committees was circulated. (See Attachment G.) A motion by Marilyn Mammano, seconded by Genia Ellis, to sunset all Goals Committees, passed. A second motion,by Betty Shelley, seconded by Bijon Fayyaz, to keep the following (9 + 4) standing and ad hoc committees, carried.
Regular/ Standing Committees
Crime/Public Safety/Emergency Preparedness
Ad hoc Committees:
10. OLD BUSINESS:
a. Centennial Committee Ã¢â¬â The committee passed out a draft form (see Attachment H) and requested feedback regarding the form, and also asked members to respond with information by September.
b. Ad Hoc Code Reform Committee Report Ã¢â¬â Richard Mancuso noted that the CityÃ¢â¬â¢s monthly Civic Packet indicates that the City will be holding Neighborhood Development Criteria Community Workshops from May 11 Ã¢â¬â 14 (Mon. Ã¢â¬â Thu.), at 6:00 p.m. in locations to be announced. Also, with respect to the Ã¢â¬ÅProcessÃ¢â¬Â Ad Hoc Code Reform committee, committee member Courtney Crush and Planning Director Greg Brewton are leading an effort to streamline administrative procedures for development projects.
c. Centennial Committee Report Ã¢â¬â The CouncilÃ¢â¬â¢s committee meets the 1st Tues. of each month and members are invited to join. The committee is looking for suggestions re.possible take-aways.
d. EAB Report Ã¢â¬â Available on the Council website.
11. FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMMUNITY
a. The Community Appearance Board will give its awards May 27.
b. The City is holding neighborhood development workshops May 11-14. (See Attachment J.)
c. Margaret Haney-Birch and JoAnne Simmonds of Lake Aire Civic Association were recognized.
12. ADJOURN Ã¢â¬â Marilyn Mammano moved to adjourn; Richard Mancuso seconded. Meeting adjourned at 9PM.
*Indicates voting items
Next Board Meeting 5:30 pm, 8th Floor Conference Room, Thursday, May 28, 2009
June General Meeting Ã¢â¬â June 9, 2009 PM 8th Floor City Hall
Attachment A Ã¢â¬â Agenda, May 12, 2009
Attachment B Ã¢â¬â Attendance Record, May 12, 2009
Attachment C Ã¢â¬â Sign-in Sheet, May 12, 2009
Attachment D Ã¢â¬â Minutes of General Meeting, April 14, 2009.
Attachment E Ã¢â¬â TreasurerÃ¢â¬â¢s Report for April 2009
Attachment F Ã¢â¬â TreasurerÃ¢â¬â¢s Report for April 2008-March 2009
Attachment G Ã¢â¬â List of Committees
Attachment H Ã¢â¬â Centennial Committee Form
Attachment I Ã¢â¬â Florida Neighborhoods Conference flyer
Attachment J Ã¢â¬â Neighborhood Development Workshop schedule flyer.